RE: [gtk-list] Re: GLib 1.2.0 installation question

Thanks for the reply.

Where is this info concerning LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which is exactly what the
error message said, I mis-remembered it ;)?  I hate to bother people with
information that I should be able to get but I really searched and couldn't
find anything on it.  I looked all through my O'Reilly books and didn't see
a reference to it at all.

I will try your suggestion and see what happens.

Incidentally, I didn't think I could install the RPMs because I'm using
Slackware and not Red Hat.  Can you install RPMs on a Slackware box?!

Again, thanks.

Rick

> ----------
> From:
> Robert_Gasch/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com[SMTP:Robert_Gasch/PeopleSoft@people
> soft.com]
	<snip>

> OK, a few things here: I'm assuming that it's possible to compile and
> run Glib/Gtk stuff without pthreads ... I believe the PATH thing you are
> referring to is LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which specifies where to find
> libraries). What you want to do is this:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> This will add /usr/local/lib to your library search path ... generally
> speaking PATH is for executables, LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
> libraries ... as such your PATH should not contain anything
> such as /usr/lib and your LD_LIBRARY_PATH should not
> contain anything such as /usr/bin ...
>
> Judging from your mail, I'd say you'll find that compiling
> gnome from scratch is not quite a simple as you might
> think it is ... you might find installing binary RPMs easier ...
>
> -->R

	<sniped for brevity>