Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkToolbar

Andy Kahn wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 01:05:06AM +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > I think the toolbar may need redesigning a bit. It was pretty awkward
> > getting it to work in Glade.
> >
> > It's not very object-oriented at present. For it to work well with a
> > GUI builder, we'd probably need a GtkToolbarItem widget (a simple subclass
> > of bin), with properties such as:
> >
> >   type - standard/toggle/radio/widget/space.
> >   icon - the graphic to show.
> >   label - the text to show.
> >   tooltip - the tooltip.
> >   group - radio group if it is a radio item.
> >
> > If it's type is 'widget' you could add any widget to it like a normal
> > container.
>
> i think the overall structure of it is fine as it is.  the items
> you've mentioned above are what's currently called GtkToolbarChild
> (minus the radio group for radio buttons).
>
> what's missing in the API is obvious: manipulating individual toolbar
> child items.  currently, you can add items, but that's it.  there no
> provisions for changing, deleting, etc.

I agree that we need a few functions for manipulating items.
(You can currently remove items with gtk_container_remove().)

But we also want to move towards generic manipulation of widgets using
objects & properties (Args in GTK+). I can't see an easy
way of doing this without turning toolbar items into real widgets.
How would you add/change a toolbar's items using Args?

Damon

P.S. I should have also added 'position' to the list of properties
(as a child property within a toolbar) so you can move items around.