GTK+ (gdk) crashes on Solaris reading 16bpp pixmaps!!!

Hi all,

I am writing an app that involves previews:

unfortunately, any time I try to read a 16bpp image on a Solaris box,
my app barfs.
It has no problems otherwise.

Is there a way that I can scale back the number of colours in a
pixmap on the fly _before_ tying to

  &mask, &style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL], filename);  ?gtk_widget_push_
  I've even tried pushing and popping with gtk_widget_push_foo() and
  gtk_widget_pop_foo() but to no avail.
  Everthing is alright on say, my Linux box...
  Thanks all,