Re: [gtk-list] Widget user interface comments

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Michael Babcock wrote:

-> Here's a list of ways I think Gtk widgets can be improved from a
-> user's point of view.  This is with Gtk 1.0.5.

-> I think scrollbars should by default be wider. I know we're following
Definately.:)

-> Menus
-> -----
-> This one might be controversial. While I do like the menu items
-> highlighting when the mouse moves over them, I don't think submenus
-> should automatically pop up without a click (obviously, if you drag
Or, do the fvwm thing (it's an option anyway) to have an arrow on the right
side of the submenu, and when you move over the arrow, then the submenu pops
up.

-> the mouse to use menus, they will have to). The problem is that its
-> too hard to "thread the needle" by moving the mouse pointer horizontally
-> to the right to the submenu without moving it up or down to make the
-> menu disappear.

-> When a menu is displayed, clicking on the title again should make it
-> disappear.
I like this -- where its appropriate. It's not always easy to find a
non-volatile item to click to get rid of the menu..

-> Radio, Check Button
-> --------------------
-> I have seen new users confused about which visual state means on
-> versus off. We all are familiar with the Motif look, but I think
Hell, I'm not new and I still get confused. Ok, I'm not that old either but
still.:)

-> Comments?
Good work. :-)

I hope some look & feel developers take notice, because you're spot on.

 Robert Thomson -- Just call me Sir    -=|   UNIX is user friendly.  |=-
  c9805651@alinga.newcastle.edu.au     -=| It's just selective about |=-
        I prefer GNU/Linux	       -=|    who its friends are.   |=-