Re: [gtk-list] File Dialog Issue (non-fatal)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Matt Martin wrote:

> Anyway, I have a concern with the File selection dialog in both the
> 1.0 and 1.1 versions.  My system has a number of power saving and
> auto-mounted drives.  Whenever a file selection dialog pops up, every
> dormant device comes surging to life.  I suspect that the code is
> searching every directory up to CWD, which might save some time if you
> are interested in skipping around to other directories.  Often,
> however, one would like to open a file immediately in the CWD.  In
> that case, it would be nice if the library would first try the CWD or
> the last dir. used (whatever the convention is...) explicitly before
> descending its way through the tree.  Such an approach would save both
> time(unecessary searching) and system power as unused drives would not
> be needlessly activated.
I would like to suggest another enhancement of this widget.  In
gtk-app-devel-list@redhat.com I posted some lines of code which have
the effect, that after gtk_file_selection_set_filename the list
entry containing this name is marked and shown if it is available.
In my opinion it is reasonable to include in the widget but easy to
do outside as I showed.

I kind of a bigger problem to do outside is the following:  If I go
down one directory by clicking ".." the directory list represents
the files and directories in the order they where read.  In my opinion
it would be more friendly if the last visited directory would be
marked and shown to give an easy way to go back in case of an mistake.

By the way:  which sense makes "." in the directory list??

Kind regards

          Andreas.