File Dialog Issue (non-fatal)

Hello all.

First a word of congratulations on the marvelous GTK which is
revolutionizing the face of free software!  GTK is now in use on my
system in Gimp and chunks of GNOME with very few complaints; even
programmed my first X application with GTK a few this summer.

Anyway, I have a concern with the File selection dialog in both the
1.0 and 1.1 versions.  My system has a number of power saving and
auto-mounted drives.  Whenever a file selection dialog pops up, every
dormant device comes surging to life.  I suspect that the code is
searching every directory up to CWD, which might save some time if you
are interested in skipping around to other directories.  Often,
however, one would like to open a file immediately in the CWD.  In
that case, it would be nice if the library would first try the CWD or
the last dir. used (whatever the convention is...) explicitly before
descending its way through the tree.  Such an approach would save both
time(unecessary searching) and system power as unused drives would not
be needlessly activated.

thanks,
 Matt Martin
matt.martin@ieee.org

Lehigh U. Microelectronics Research Lab        "The Clubhouse"
16A Memorial Dr. E., Bethlehem,PA,18015      126 East 4th St.
mmartin @ calvin.sfc.lehigh.edu              Bethlehem, PA,18015-1702
Work:(610) 758-3951 (Office)                    MGM1 @ LEHIGH.EDU
              -4518 (Lab)                    Home: (610) 758-9662
 WWW: "http://www.lehigh.edu/~mgm1/mgm1.html"  AIM ID: MmAaRtTtIN
    PGP Public key at "finger mmartin@calvin.sfc.lehigh.edu"