Re: [gtk-list] Detecting window from button

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Application X contains an entry field and two buttons.  Whenever the
> OK button is pressed the content of the entry is tested.  If the
> content isn't correct an error dialog pops up.
>
> The new dialog has a Close button.  However the signal handler doesn't
> know which window to close.  Storing one global variable for this very
> windows isn't a solution but a bad workaround.
>
> In connection to the above scenario I wonder how it would be possible
> to disable the OK button in the main dialog until the data is
> processed (and the window is closed anyway) or the error box is
> closed.
You can try to use

   gtk_object_set_user_data(GTK_OBJECT(button), window);

and in the signal handler

   window = gtk_object_get_user_data(GTK_OBJECT(button));

I've done this as first solution.  In most cases when I've done this
I considered later, that I need the window only to destroy it.  Than
it is easier to install a second signal handler for the button (after
the handler which does your job of course) which simply destroys the
window.

Kind regards

         Andreas.