[gtk-list] OFF-TOPIC (was Re: gtk-- vs. vdk)

Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> Sorry, I react to this like a Pavlov dog I guess, but I think it's
> worth at least not to let things like that pass undisputed.

count also me in Pavlov dogs, Guillame :-)

> George <jirka@5z.com> writes:
>
> > however ... given the experience I've had with C++ I'd recommend against
> > switching ...
>
> Would you care to explain more in details why ?

may i attempt an answer ? Allmost all C programmers that switch to C++
using it as
"better C" show same feeling. I strongly suggest to remain in C side if
you aren't ready to make a hard turn in your programming style. IMHO
when Stroustrup decided to derive C++ from C made a practical hit but a
theoretical error, bad parts of C++ are those  made to maintain C
compatibility. No questions or complaints switching from C to Smalltalk,
they are different, some thing should be on C++ side, they do are
different, the fact they share many language constructs should help but
in reality is an obstacle. With no satisfaction i notice that after ten
year there are still so much misunderstandings an confusions in this
topic.

friendly
--
Mario Motta