Default sizes for widgets: how?

How does one set default sizes for widgets in GTK, without changing
the minimum geometry? e.g. I want the default size for a text widget
to be about 100x60, but with a minimum of 50x30. Currently, the way I did
it is to set_usize() to 50x30, then resize the toplevel window to a
decent size (without setting the minimum on the toplevel window). Is
this the correct way? Sounds a bit hacky to me.

P.S. Thanks to those who sent help on the deiconizing tips!

--
 |)        Ang Chin Han <angch@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>       sza|)
 |)ee  SMCH '94 page: http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~angch/     |
perl -e '$_=" "x4;for $a(split//,"Japhuneasorcttlk:h:e:e:r:r:::")\
{s/:*~/ /g&push @j,$_ until s/ /$a~/}print join("-->\n",@j),"\n";'