Re: [gtk-list] Re: Game Devel : Xlib OR GTK ?

> depending on the kind of game you want to write, you'll most likely go with
> opengl anyway. there is a gtkglut widget that can be used to incorporate
> opengl contexts into gtk. I haven't used it yet.

I agree OpenGL is definately the best solution as more and more
hardware acceleration is becoming available on that front.
I haven't ever hear of "gtkglut" widget, but there is Gtkgl and
Gtkglarea.

GtkGL is kind of falling out of use.  I have heard rumors that
progress has stopped.  Gtkglarea is quite a bit better at this
point and even allows rendering in Pixmaps.  (There is also a
C++ wrapper for it to use Gtk--, but it is in disrepair til
I finish my Qualifiers.)

Links for the two packages.
GtkGL
  http://www.sakuranet.or.jp/~aozasa/shige/doc/comp/gtk/gtkGL/00gtkGL-en.html
Gtkglarea
  http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jlof/gtkglarea/
  http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~kenelson/gtk-glarea/

--Karl

(PS. Oh theres the link to GtkGLUT!  It is part of GtkGL.
I wish that author would coordinate his efforts.)