Game Devel : Xlib OR GTK ?

Hi everyone,

this is my first post to this list so hope you'll be kind :-) !

I'm currently trying to understand some game development technique and
I'vefound Linux very suitable for. Now, I've download the source of
XDoom. I know that it's based on the XLib library, but I'ven't found
much doc about it, So I've decided to move to GTK (I would have moved
to it anyway :-)). Now, I'd like to know if GTK is a valid replacement
for XLib in Game Development.

More precisely, I'd like to know if it is quick enough to implement a
mechanism like the XImage/Double/Triple Buffer stuff in XLib.

Please, let me know.

Thanks !