Re: [gtk-list] Re: My two cents on Asthetics

J Douglas Winters wrote:

> The point isn't, I think, that GTK is inherently ugly as much as it needs
> a bit of polish here and there.  Simple things like, for example, the
> "South" button on your app.  It's off-center.  Or take the GtkNotebook for
> example.  Overall it looks great, but there is something about it that
> just "isn't right".  I think it may be the tabs are a little too tall and
> need a pixel chisled off the corners; something like that.  Also,
> interface-wise, I think sub-menus should not be offset down several pixels
> the way they are.  Especially at high-res, the offset creates some
> difficulty moving into the sub-menu without accidentally going off and
> making it disappear.
>
> I hope I don't get flamed for this, but... I think we should take a look
> at how MS Windows (95-no-IE, definately NOT 98) does some things.  It may
> be bland, even compared to non-themed GTK, but they've got many of the
> pixel-level details (notebook corners, etc.) down correctly.

You have absolutly a right on this because this is a problem In my system I have changed to another smaller font and now it looks much better.

I am using -*-helvetica-medium instead for the default ugly font. This is one thing that should be changed in gtk. Another is the ugly Motif like grey backgrounds.

Why not change this to some nicer color.

Offcourse this can be fixed in the gtkrc file, but how many gtk applications looks for the gtkrc file???

I have not yet seen anyone. I have added this lines to my own applications:

char rcfilename[512];

sprintf(rcfilename,"%s/.gtkrc",getenv("HOME"));

gtk_rc_parse(rcfilename);

ofcourse this means that .gtkrc must exist in the homedir...

Greats

MikeH

Btw. Sorry my bad english

--