Re: [gtk-list] My two cents on Asthetics

The point isn't, I think, that GTK is inherently ugly as much as it needs
a bit of polish here and there.  Simple things like, for example, the
"South" button on your app.  It's off-center.  Or take the GtkNotebook for
example.  Overall it looks great, but there is something about it that
just "isn't right".  I think it may be the tabs are a little too tall and
need a pixel chisled off the corners; something like that.  Also,
interface-wise, I think sub-menus should not be offset down several pixels
the way they are.  Especially at high-res, the offset creates some
difficulty moving into the sub-menu without accidentally going off and
making it disappear.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but... I think we should take a look
at how MS Windows (95-no-IE, definately NOT 98) does some things.  It may
be bland, even compared to non-themed GTK, but they've got many of the
pixel-level details (notebook corners, etc.) down correctly.

Cheers,

--Doug

J Douglas Winters   |   winters@cs.utah.edu