Simple question: can't seem to find answer

I'm not trying to do any development.  I am trying to run Gnome and get
error messages I believe to be related to gtk+. What ever gtk reliant
program I run the same type of error messages appear:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 115 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
'font != NULL' failed
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 115 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
'font != NULL' failed
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 115 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
'font != NULL' failed
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 115 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
'font != NULL' failed
Gdk-Message
** ERROR ** sigsegv caught

I have both the 10- adn 1.1-2 versions installed all from .rpms for my
RedHat system.  Someone suggested it maybe font related?  I browsed the
gtk documentation, did the correct linking in my /usr/lib directories,
etc.  Still no luck.

Anyone?

Thanks
Stuart