Re: [gtk-list] Please save my life! :)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Paul Dlug wrote:
> Maybe someone out there can help, I've tried almost everything I can
> think of. I had gtk working beautifully for a long while, upgraded to
> gtk+1.1.2 and worked wonderfully also then I don't know what happened.

Which Gtk did you have before?

> tried to install gnome, couldn't get it to work and got rid of it. Gtk
> then stopped working

Gnome won't have broken Gtk, so you can narrow the problem down to
something you did while installing or removing it.

> so ideleted all it's libs out of /usr/local/lib and
> reinstalled(btw all gnome libs are gone).

If you won't use packages you should at least try GNU stow, to solve this
kind of mess. Or have /usr/local/gnome, /usr/local/gtk, etc.

>  No luck it's not working,
> recompiled reinstalled, unistalled and reinstalled a few times and it
> doesn't work. I can compile programs but when i run them the window
> displays and closes with the error: ** ERROR **: sigsegv caught.

It's likely that your headers don't match your libraries or something like
that. Uninstall *everything*, from glib up, and *make clean* in every app,
remove every config.cache, then rebuild and reinstall, and it will
probably work. Make sure you nuke all the libraries, and all the headers,
and all the .m4 files, and all the -config executables...

If that doesn't work, try doing a backtrace in gdb to see where the
segfault is. But if you apps worked before and all apps segfault, this is
unlikely to be helpful.

> I know
> it's not the apps since they all worked before gtk went wacky on me. But
> I can't seem to fix this, if anyone could help me I'd really really
> appreciate it since I have alot of gtk programs and most of the programs
> I write for X use Gtk now so I desperatly need this working, thanks in
> advance.

This kind of error could be caused by a thousand different mistakes,
there's no way to guess which one you made. Or it could be caused by some
weirdness about your system; there's no way to guess what that would be
either.

If you can't get it to work by starting from clean source trees, you'll
need to provide more information so people can try to guess what might be
wrong.

Havoc