What about dead-keys support from gtk?

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering why most X applications (Netscape, StarOffice, Applix, and
much others) don't support the i18n way to compose characters. Is very
frustating for a language that have more of 20 accented characters to
compose it with a 3 keys sequence when all typewriters machines on that
country can make it with only 2 keys.

I know that:

* Linux glibc support locales, and the Linux console can compose with
dead-keys (accent and letter)
* Xfree86 (and I think all X11R6) have a call to type composed
characters using dead-keys (and not only the ridiculous compose key)
* Motif have a call that make use of it
* There is a daemon and a kernel patch that fools the X making it act
like if the keyboard have a specific key for that character, but I think
that this is a workaround, and must be banned. Also, this solution only
works with 2.0.xx kernels, forget about 2.1.xx or the future 2.2.xx
kernels.

and

* I never seen an application (except xterm and color_xterm) that use
the X11R6 call to make it

It will be useful if GTK+ use it (I don't now either the name nor the
way to call it)

Best regards, and waiting for someone enlightened make it,
--
Claudemir Todo Bom <allgood@conection.com.br>
                   <http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8459>