changing text widgets background color

How do you change the background of an individual instance of a text
widget programmatically?  Using gdk_window_set_background() doesn't work
because text widgets background colors are set with the base[] style
structure element.

If I place the text widget in an event box and change the event box's
background, will it show through the text widget?  If so, will it do so
even if the text widgets base[] color is set in the gtkrc file?

I've seen how changing the style for the widget changes all other text
widgets, but thats not what I want here.  I need to be able to change the
background color on the fly for individual text widgets.

Ideas?

--
Michael J. Hammel           |It is my settled opinion, after some years as a
The Graphics Muse           |political correspondent, that no one is attracted