'Raising' windows

Hello.

Is there a way I could tell a window to raise itself above all other windows
currently covering it?
I could really use something like that when having several windows around,
and one is supposed to always be visible when another is doing something.

In addition, something that is not very important, just somewhat annoying -
what's the name of the root window? I want to get the mouse pointer position
in relation to the root window, and for that purpose I need the root window
(I assume).

Hopefully, both of these are not covered in the tutorial or the various
example programs. I couldn't find that, anyhow.

                                                   Nimrod

--
Be optimistic:
If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to