Re: [gtk-list] Re: Possible to place widgets *on top* of CList?

On Thu, 7 May 1998, KC5TJA wrote:

> > > WHOA...wait a minute!  GTK's list items are containers...they usually hold
> > > labels, but do they HAVE to?
> > gtkclists supports text and/or pixmaps in it's cells.
>
> That's kinda limitting...  Is there any way around this limitation?
Don't think so. gtkclist is in some way a hack for speed. (I can quite
easily insert 30000 rows in about 1 second.)

> > > I don't know why I didn't think of this before!  Why not just create a
> > > list of edit entries, which are non-editable by default?
> > Because gtkclist doesn't expect widgets.
>
> Well, so much for NextStep vs. GTK arguments... :)  How difficult would it
> be to allow it to support arbitrary widgets in lists?
No problem. Pack a huge table in a scrolled window. Full flexibility. Slow
as hell.

> I'm just wondering about this, because having the ability to include
> ANYTHING in a list would be wonderful.
You have it already with gtklist. And gtklist is also slow :(

> > Who said that someone would want to bash your head? *g*
>
> Nobody, but I thought I'd do it for them.  :)  I'm user friendly. :D
That's what they call user friendly? *wonder*

Andreas