Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK+ Menu Styles...

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Daniel Egger wrote:
> On Wed, 06 May 1998, docwhat@gerf.org wrote:
> >Exactly.  The idea is to allow existing code (with maybe a recompile) to
> >accept the defaults, i.e. what ever either the WindowManager (if
> >the WM is GTK/gnome aware) or the user (via a GTK configure panel)
> >selected.  *OR* if the user, on the fly, does like you mention. Grab
> >the menu and pull it off to a floating bar, or pushes it against the
> >top (or bottom or left or right) and have it stick ala Mac or Next or
> >AmigaOS.
>
> >But the App should be able to override this behavior, too.  It may or
> >may not make sense for a specific application.
>
>  What about this:
>  We offer the possibility to open a small window in which all gtk+ can share
>  their menubars.... just like floating menubars in KDE but with one big
>  difference: every application uses the same menubarwindow, the one having
>  the focus has it's menubar in the window....
I would object to this, as it can make the application entirely useless.
Imagine people who are using mousemove to focus. The menu bar is at A, the
window is at B, another window is at C, between A and B. So every time the
user moves the mouse to get to the menu bar, the menu bar will vanish on
the way as window C becomes focused, and the menu bar for B vanishes.

I had this with KDE, and this is one of the reasons that I dislike KDE.
(Yes, I know I don't have to drag them off) but this type of problem can
really put people off using an otherwise good system.

--
S.
GM/CS/MU -d+ H+>++ s+: !g p2 au0 !a w+++ v-(---) C++++$ UL++++$ UB+