Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK+ Menu Styles...

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 07:59:34PM -0400, Christopher James Lahey wrote:

> I really like this idea.  And I don't think it would need any rewriting of
> any code that uses GTK.  For instance, if a user pulled a menu off and
> made it floating, the menu widget would open a new window for that menu.
> If the user wanted the menu bar to appear across the top of their screen,
> the menubar widget simply makes itself 0 pixels tall and then creates a
> menu bar across the top.  Really, as long as the user doesn't want the
> menu to appear anywhere within the application other than where the
> application put it, there should be no neccessary rewrite of the
> application code.  Wow.  Cool.
>   Crhsi

Exactly.  The idea is to allow existing code (with maybe a recompile) to
accept the defaults, i.e. what ever either the WindowManager (if
the WM is GTK/gnome aware) or the user (via a GTK configure panel)
selected.  *OR* if the user, on the fly, does like you mention. Grab
the menu and pull it off to a floating bar, or pushes it against the
top (or bottom or left or right) and have it stick ala Mac or Next or
AmigaOS.

But the App should be able to override this behavior, too.  It may or
may not make sense for a specific application.

But I think the super-versitile menu should be the default.

Ciao!

docwhat@gerf.org