Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK+ Menu Styles...

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 03:37:08PM -0700, KC5TJA wrote:
> I agree.  I personally prefer menus across the top edge of the screen, but
> hidden until needed (a la AmigaOS).  I like having the right-mouse button
> bring up menus on demand.  However, I also like pin-up menus as well.  I
> like the ability to click on the push-pin to permanently pin the menu, and
> be able to drag it about the screen.
>
> I think somene should work on this... :)  Too bad I don't have the time
> (working on my own programming projects, ya know... :) ).

Someone is (sorta): Raster.  Here is the screen snapshot..
http://www.labs.redhat.com/themes.shtml

Raster is mister Enlightenment, in case you don't know.  So I have high hopes. :)

I think that while menus need to be consistant (generally) as a key part of an
interface, I think that the user should be able to configure them.  I can
think of plenty of times under AmigaOS, NextStep, etc. That I've wished the
menu's worked differently.

Perhaps there should be a menu content container(not in the gtk sense),
that could be stuffed into a horizontal and verticle menu widget.  This'd
also allow easy "left" clicking.

> What would be ideal, for me at least, is to have GTK written so that it
> uses a scripting language to control how the screen is rendered.
> Something, preferrably, like GForth or related language (Guile???).  This
> way here, I can write my own GUI "schema" as I needed it, depending on how
> a given application is to be used.

I don't know.... Guile would probably be the language of choice, but I'm
not sure.  I'd need to see a proposal. :)

I have thought about creating a "render" sub-widget to allow things like
rendered texturing of widgets, but I want to see Raster's code.

Ciao!

docwhat@gerf.org