Re: [gtk-list] Crashing X

On  4 May, Shevek shouted:
->  I better admit I'm a lame programmer before I start this, cos you'll only
->  realise it after 5 lines.
->
->  I made a GTK application that looped. Now I had set up a kill event in a
->  xterm just incase of that, but with a menu open, the mouse focus can't
->  move to it. So I changed to a text terminal, sent the GTK program an
->  ordinary kill signal, and it totally munged the X server, the whole of X
->  exited down the drain. I've done this twice now, much to my annoyance. As
->  soon as I switch back to the X vt, it goes down.

blame X not GTK. If it's Meto-X well. try XFree - if it's Xfree try the
latest XFree, if that doesn't help use AccelX.

basically: the X server should NEVER EVER EVER crash on you as it is a
separation form client and server (its like a web browser being able to
crash the web server - a bug in the web server). XFree has bugs, so
does Metro-X - AccelX is the server with the least number of bugs in my
experience. I know that I coudl write a VALID X program in a few lines
ot breing any X server down - this is due to a really bad core design
flaw in the MIT_SHM extension for X.. yet again it's not my fault I'm
writing a valid program.. its a design flaw.

->  Is this a bug in the GTK+ signal handlers trapping everything and doing
->  fancy things with it?
->
->  And in future I suppose I have to incude a 'node=node->next' when I'm
->  iterating lists.
->
->  Cheers etc.
->
->  --
->  S.
->  GM/CS/MU -d+ H+>++ s+: !g p2 au0 !a w+++ v-(---) C++++$ UL++++$ UB+
->  5++ !j !R G' !tv b+++ D++ B--- e+ u+* h++ f? r-- n---- y?
->
->

--