Re: [gtk-list] GNUing question

> After visiting the GNU homepage, the directions on how to GNU a piece of
> software is relatively straightforward, except for one thing.  Basically,
> it says I need to copyright the software first.  My question is, to what
> extent do I copyright my software?  Do I go through the process of
> paying a gov't agency and "officially" copyrighting it or do I
> just slap a "(C)1998 David Finton" somewhere, plant the public licenses
> where needed, and hope for the best?  (I live in the state of Minnesota,
> if that helps).

  I did a little research on this at one point and read some of title 17 so
I may be able to help you here.
Since some time in the 80s, you no longer have to 'officially' copywrite
anything.
The act of publication, actually the act of creation is enough....you just need
to make sure that you can prove you made it first if at some point there is a
dispute.
Of course 'officially' copywriting will make this a little easier, it is not
absolutely necisary.
So pretty much all you need to do is put a copywrite notice in the code...even
this is not required, but it is the logical thing to do.