Re: [gtk-list] Re: Windows NT port of GTK+

fractture wrote:

> > Porting glib was an evening's work.  Porting gdk looks like it will
> > require a from-scratch rewrite.  Once that is done, most of gtk can be
> > used without changes.  One question though: port to mingw32 or Visual
> > C++?  The former is in the spirit of the of the GTK+ community, and
> > would let anyone develop without invensting in VC++.  On the other
> > hand, VC++ is a much nicer development environment.  (One could get it
> > to build under either, but that is a bit more work).
>
> I definately think if your going to port GTK+ it needs to be to a Gnuized
> library environment+compiler like djgpp or gnu-win32!!  We want to make
> porting easier, not do advertizing for some MS product.  I am all for it as
> long as it doesn't rely on comercial products, especially MS's stuff.  If
> someone wants to make VC++ development easier, that could be done later,...but
> the first port should absolutely be to a free environment.
>
> That is my 2c on the matter.
>
> --

 Hmm.  That's worth more than 2 cents.  Given my last email's worth of conjectures
and this is enough to go with Cygwin32.  Once it works with the native Windows
API, someone can worry about compiling "native" (term used loosely).

Anyone know where I can get a cheapo X server for NT?  I have yet to find a free
one.  (Oh, I forgot to add that to my NT gripes list).

Hey, once this thing gets rolling, I'll submit GTK+ and some reasons to the
mozilla.org "wish list".  It'd be really neat (however unlikely) if someone were
to port it to Mac and GTK+ became the *only* GUI mozilla used.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice
jasonf@baldwingroup.com