Installation Phun

Hello All,

I've been having a blast getting GIMP and GTK to work. Everyone keeps
telling me that the latest version of GIMP rocks, so I wanted to try it
out.

I tried getting an RPM of GIMP first, but it didn't work. So, I tried
downloading the source. The first package I downloaded didn't have all
of the necessary files. Once I did get all of the files I needed, it
told me that I needed to install GTK first. Once again I tried the RPM
version, but to no avail. Then I got the source version of it as well
(I'm using the latest versions of both).

I installed GTK under /usr/local/gtk+-0.99.8/ while GIMP is in
/usr/gimp-0.99.23/. To get GTK running, I did a ./configure, a make and
a make install. Everything seemed to work OK. When I tried to do a
./configure on GIMP, it told me that I didn't have GTK installed. Did I
miss a step somewhere? Any help you might have would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason