Re: [gtk-list] Re: WM hints interface

raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On  5 Mar, Owen Taylor shouted:
> ->  Quoting the ICCCM:
> ->
> ->  2.The properties of the window group leader are those for the group as
> ->    a whole (for example, the icon to be shown when the entire group is
> ->    iconified).
> ->
> ->  Of course, "properties" here is somewhat ambiguous - I don't know if it
> ->  applies to transience or not.
>
> Hm.. well I'd assume it doesn't mean transience is inherited.. although
> that is technically a property...

I'd agree. However this means there is no way to do app transient
windows. Some toolkits (Qt, probably motif) do it by repeatedly raising
their app-modal windows on mouse click (or even on mouse entry) which
is VERY annoying.

> ->  Hmmm ... this seems to potentially slow down the creation process
> ->  quite a bit - depending on the way the WM works, it might not
> ->  be able to show the window correctly until it has the icons for
> ->  the window - which means that between the MapRequestEvent and
> ->  the map event, the WM has to send the icon request to the client,
> ->  and the client has to create the icons.
>
> the wm can "defer ralisation" fo icons until all the hints are
> negotiated and keep drawing the border anyway... :) E0.14 does this
> with external image classes - it doesn't wait for a reply - it adds the
> external imageclass when and if it gest it - and soldiers

I think sending messages between app and wm is bad idea. It's better for
app to read a propery on root window and set the appropriate icons
(if apps icon rendering is slow, it could map the frame first and render
the icon afterwards).

> ->  Since I suspect that WM's will most likely have very similar
> ->  requirements for all windows on a screen, might it not be better
> ->  to specify the requirements on a root window property, and then
> ->  if you want to support dynamic changes, either send the
> ->  client message when things change, or specify that clients
> ->  should request PropertChangeNotify events on the root window?
>
> hmm I'd go for B - clients select property change on the root window...
>
> in that cae all we need is a quick stat struct to put into the property
> data like:
> int num_pixmaps_sizes;
>
> int width,hiehgt,visid;
> etc.
> per pixmap size.
> and ont he client window set a property with the same format except the
> data elements are
> int width,height,visid,pixmapid,maskid;

Something like this would be reasonable, as long as both root window and
app window can contain more than one icon/mask pair (wish list on root
and actual icons on app window).

Mark
--
... MouseDevice "/dev/null"