Re: [gtk-list] Re: WM hints interface

  MM> This makes sense.

  >> > Modal windows are missing (inputMode from motif). Or you could
  >> say > that modal windows are banned from gtk (and I would agree
  >> ;-)
  >>
  >> Modal windows aren't banned from GTK, but they are pretty much
  >> supported without any WM functionality. The only real benefit of
  >> WM support would being keeping the modal dialog on top of the
  >> rest of the applications window.

  MM> Keeping them on top is not called modal, it is called transient
  MM> (and is already supported). Modal windows would prevent input
  MM> focus from being given to the parent frame.

Only for windows created with
gtk_window_new(GTK_DIALOG_WINDOW)... gtk_dialog_new() windows can not
be set transient without dropping down to Xlib AFAICT (please correct
me if I'm wrong :)

One thing that would be really nice would be if Gtk+ always set
_WM_CLASS_HINTS or whatever it is (defaulting to argv[0], properly
(de) capitalized) It would also be nice to set the command line
string. That would allow Gtk+ applications to automatically be
dockable by windowmaker and usable for session managers, even if the
programmer was too lazy.

Just a couple thoughts :)

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/