Compiling gtk 0.99.4 on FreeBSD...

When running ./configure for gimp 0.99.19 I get the following error:

checking for gtk >= 0.99.4... no
configure: error: Cannot include/link gtk/gdk/glib--check CFLAGS/LDFLAGS

I figure this means that GTK has not been properly installed on my
machine, but I ran configure, make, and make install without a hitch... or
so I thought.

When I went back over the make output I found this warning:

libtool: link: warning: using a buggy system linker
libtool: link: relinking will be required before `testglib' can be
installed

Does this mean that GTK was not properly installed?  How can I fix it?
Anyone else have luck make-ing  on a  FreeBSD 2.2.5 system?

   Josh Emmons...j-emmons@sjca.edu
    Numeric stability is probably
     not all that important when
           you're guessing.