Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkProgressBar && RE: updating a progress bar

Owen Taylor <owt1@cornell.edu> writes:
> GTK, in fact, used to do all drawing immediately onscreen - this was
> changed largely so that when multiple changes were made at once
> it wasn't constantly redrawing everything.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  Would it have been possible to
have something like gtk_draw_freeze()/gtk_draw_thaw() so the
programmer can take care of these issues when they come up?

This reminds me of the issue a few weeks back with idle handlers,
in that it is confusing for the programmer to understand what is
going on, and how to fix it.  If the redraws were moved to their
own queue, and we added the freeze/thaw above, I think it might
be more intuitive for programmers, but also allow them to control
when redraws happen if they need to.

I wasn't privy to the discussion when this was changed, so maybe
(probably) there issues that would make this more complicated
than it seems.  Still, I think with the current scheme, we will
have to continue to answer questions about this issue.

-Marc