Re: [gtk-list] Re: Runtime Linkage queries

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> > > 1. Arg ranges - Args with numeric values may only have a limited valid
> > >    range. How can a GUI builder determine this? I suppose it
> > could get by
> > >    without them, but it wouldn't be able to use spinbuttons for floats,
> > >    since it would have no idea of what to use for the increments.
> >
> > yep, this is one of the left over areas. since this stuff is just
> > not supported
> > by the widget argument system (i would have liked this ability as
> > well, back
> > when this was implemented), it seems like the only ability gui
> > builders have
> > is to provide extra knowledge for this...
>

> By the way, if you're going to alter the Arg system, another very useful
> improvement would be to support default values (for numeric and enum
> types).
>
> If default values are added, Glade will only output args which differ
> from these, making the output file much smaller. (Currently Glade has
> some defaults hard-coded, but that's not ideal.)

hm, actually i wasn't intending to change the arg api even further.
for GLE i'm using a somewhat dirty approach, it temporarily creates
an object and then getvs all the arguments default values, since
i didn't want the widget tree dump to cover all possible argument
values as well.

> Damon

---
ciaoTJ