RE: [gtk-list] Re: GtkFontSelection v0.7!

Tim Janik wrote:
> also i think the "Clear Filter" and "Reset" buttons should have the same
> name (i.e. "Clear Filter"), to avoid confusion (i actually tried
> out whether they cause the same operation).

This will be done, if we decide to keep the 'Clear Filter' button - Owen
likes this but I prefer the old 'Filter fonts' toggle button. So we are
waiting for another opinion. (I think the 'Clear Filter' is more obvious,
but the toggle button fits in better with the rest of the buttons.
I'm not too bothered either way.)

> for the window itself, the auto-shrink policy is really anoying
> (one should never use auto-shrink for a window that holds lists).

I can't win here. People moan either way!

I thought this was OK now. The lists should stay the same size - only
the preview area should expand & shrink. Unless you resize the dialog's
width, which turns auto-shrink off, making the lists change size as
the preview area expands/shrinks. Is it not working like that?
(Maybe you just made the dialog taller, and it auto-shrank back?)

> also i think the "Font:", "Font Style:" and "Font Size:" lists should use
> SELECTION_BROWSE, since there is no real use in having no font selected
> (i was actually scrolling through the list to figure which one is initialy
> selected).

I can do that if people prefer it. I did it this way since loading some
fonts can be quite slow (especially 2-byte fonts), and if one of these
happens to be the first in the list, you have to wait every time you
open a FontSel dialog.

> also the fonteselector segfaulted on me when i clicked on "Allow scaled
> bitmap fonts", right after it was created (though that fault wasn't really
> reliably reproducable):

> gtk_font_selection_show_available_sizes (fontsel=0x8117000)
>     at gtkfontsel.c:1335
> 1335          bitmapped_sizes =
> &fontsel_info->pixel_sizes[style->pixel_sizes_index];

Thanks for this. I've found the problem - it shouldn't be calling that
function with no font selected.

> ahh, yes, the ok button just destroyes the notebook for me and leaves the
> window on screen.

Is this in testgtk? I can't see why this happens (and I can't get it to
happen, but I haven't got the current testgtk). This was my code:

void
font_selection_dialog_ok (GtkWidget        *w,
			  gpointer          data)
{
  gchar *fontname;
  fontname =
gtk_font_selection_dialog_get_font_name(GTK_FONT_SELECTION_DIALOG(data));
  g_print("Selected font: %s\n", fontname);
  g_free(fontname);
  gtk_widget_destroy(gtk_widget_get_toplevel(w));
}

Is it different in testgtk?

Damon