Re: [gtk-list] RE: missing some features in gtk_clist

Stefan Jeske wrote:

> Hi Daniel !
>
> On 15-Jun-98 Daniel Adler wrote:
> > i'm writting at the moment some sort of a file manager with gtk, and i
> > have a problem with using the clist to enhance all features.
>
> We already implemented some of your features. They will be committed
> once we get them synchronized with the ctree code. Maybe two weeks... ;)

The problem is, that i'm writing a file manager like the good old
DirOpus
on Amiga, and the browser display should be only a list, especially for
those
that are working all the time with mc.
I haven't seen ctree yet. But the name sounds for me, that it is a tree
out of
columns. What does it do exactly ?

> > 1. i want to have multiple selections available while holding down a
> > mousebutton
> > (at the moment each entry has to be selected (clicked) seperately
>
> We implemented the Extended Selection Mode (exactly what you want).

I started to implement in a personal patch of gtkclist a
GTK_SELECTION_MULTIDRAG,
should i change it to GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED (i thought it should be
hold free
for very custom use) ?!

> > 2. i want different actions on the buttons to accur, e.g. you press the
> > middle button
> > and a menu pop up, you hold down the right button and a dragging object
> > occured to
> > drop it to another browser.
>
> Popups don't belong into clist, you can code them externally using the
> "select_row" signal. If you want dragging, you could do something like
> we did in ctree.

You mean, checking for the button that is pressed ? the problem is for
me
(as a novice in gtk) to tell clist NOT to toggle the row, when e.g.
button 2
is pressed. I think every clist should be given a button_mask to tell,
what
button is the "selection_button".

> > 4. i want to let the user drag'n'drop each column to a new column
> > position for new views (e.g.
> > you drag the file-size-column to the first position of the
> > clist-display)
>
> Swapping columns is something we would like to see, too. ;)
>
> BTW: Have you had a closer look at ctree ? It might be the better choice
>      especially for file managers. ;)

no, i tried, but i haven't got an access to the cvs-tree, is there some
other
place where i can get the hole development of gtk ? or can i get access
to it ?