[gtk-list] Re: Excuse me for mentioning the unmentionable, but...

> Surely somebody has thought about the feasibility of, or even tried,
> porting gdk and gtk+ to Win32? (I don't mean just using the X11
> libraries under Win32, but native Win32 graphics API. No MFC of
> course.) What is the biggest problem? The Win32 color model is quite
> different from X11's, isn't it? What about keyboard and mouse focus
> related differences? If somebody has any helpful hints, or even
> partial attempts, I would be grateful for them.... I might try to port
> it myself. (Don't hold your breath, I am talking about a timeframe of
> half a year at least.)
>
> I assume one would compile and run it using the cygwin32 environment,
> so POSIX-specific stuff could be left as is.

John Ousterhout has a port of TCL/TK for Win32 with VC5.0, so it must
bepossible. You could take a look to his sources...

> (Don't flame me to death, I dislike Microsoft and Windows as much as
> most people on this list, I assume. I just happen to have this Minolta
> slide/neg scanner which isn't supported by SANE, and would love to be
> able to run the GIMP under Windoze. Even without any plug-ins.
> Reverse-engineering the scanner's protocol seems tough.)

Well, I don't like it, but I must deal with NT at work.

--
Alfred Mickautsch --- mi@ugs.com
Baan & Schuler GmbH, Karl-Berner-Str. 4, D-72285 Pfalzgrafenweiler