Excuse me for mentioning the unmentionable, but...

Surely somebody has thought about the feasibility of, or even tried,
porting gdk and gtk+ to Win32? (I don't mean just using the X11
libraries under Win32, but native Win32 graphics API. No MFC of
course.) What is the biggest problem? The Win32 color model is quite
different from X11's, isn't it? What about keyboard and mouse focus
related differences? If somebody has any helpful hints, or even
partial attempts, I would be grateful for them.... I might try to port
it myself. (Don't hold your breath, I am talking about a timeframe of
half a year at least.)

I assume one would compile and run it using the cygwin32 environment,
so POSIX-specific stuff could be left as is.

(Don't flame me to death, I dislike Microsoft and Windows as much as
most people on this list, I assume. I just happen to have this Minolta
slide/neg scanner which isn't supported by SANE, and would love to be
able to run the GIMP under Windoze. Even without any plug-ins.
Reverse-engineering the scanner's protocol seems tough.)