Re: GtkFontSelection v0.6

"Damon Chaplin" <DAChaplin@email.msn.com> writes:

> > Further comments:
> >
> >  - The registry and encoding filters should be combined. Logically,
> >    one doesn't think of iso8859 and 1, one thinks of iso8859-1.
> >    (And there is very little use in just viewing fonts in a paricular
> >    registry, and none in just viewing the fonts in encoding '1')
>
> My limited knowledge of X fonts causing trouble again!
> I thought that perhaps for fonts for a certain language,
> e.g. Korean, there might be one registry but several encodings,
> so just selecting the registry would be useful.

Although the character sets in an registry might be related,
they will never be interchangeable. You can't replace a
ksc5601.1987-0 character set with a ksc5601.1987-1 set. You
will be looking for one or the other. If you _really_ want
to filter for both, well, then your filtering interface
makes it very easy - just click on both.

> >  - I'd still like to have some way of indicating whether there
> >    is a non-empty filter in effect from the main page. My original
> >    idea, to have a "clear filter" button (disabled when no filter)
> >    in the left hand corner of the dialog, is made a bit difficult
> >    by the division into two widgets, but perhaps something like
> >    that could be implemented.
>
> There is a toggle button below the fonts list. It only becomes sensitive
> when a non-empty filter is set, and is active/pressed when the filter
> is in effect. Maybe its not obvious enough!

 - The toggle button, for me, stays sensitive always, after I've
   set a filter.
 - No, it isn't very obvious.
 - You shouldn't have to apply the filter in a separate step.
   (GtkNotebook::switch_page may be useful)

I tend to think that just replacing it with a "Clear Filter"
pushbutton would work a bit better. But I'm not sure without
trying it out whether that would be more obvious.

> > > I had to use gtk_entry_adjust_scroll() since sometimes the text in the
> > > preview disappeared. Maybe it should be declared in gtkentry.h
> >
> > I have no idea why this function is public. It shouldn't be.
> > If you can reproduce how you got the text to disappear, I'll fix it
> > in gtkentry.c.
>
> It happens after you select a 2-byte font, and then a normal font.
> (You might be able to see it in earlier versions of GtkFontSelection < 0.5?)
> It seems as if the text has scrolled off to the left - you have
> to do a Ctrl-a or drag the mouse off the left of the entry to see the
> text again.

Hmmm. I'll take a look. It maybe has something to do with the
two-byte fonts confusing GtkEntry.

Regards,
                                        Owen