Re: Xcms

Karl Nelson <kenelson@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I agree that most of the functionallity of Xcms is very overkill.
> However in an example code that I recently sent, I needed at
> minumum XcmsLookupColor.  When interfacing between various toolkits
> it is very nice to have some function to convert between color
> maps and lookup color values.   OpenGL (in my case) provides no
> named color scheme.  I could use XLookupColor, but I don't know
> if gdk provides that either (but it would be more difficult).

There is no need for Xcms for using the names in the X rgb
data base.

 GdkColor &red;

 gdk_color_parse("red", &color);
 printf("Red is (%d, %d, %d)", color->red, color->green, color->blue);
 gdk_color_alloc (gtk_widget_get_colormap (widget), color);

 gdk_gc_set_foreground (some_gc, red);

Etc. All works fine now. (gdk_color_parse() is the GDK frontend
to XLookupColor.)

> How poorly supported it Xcms?  (Should I avoid it like the plague?)

I think (but am not sure) that it is an X11R6 feature. So it won't be
supported on X11R5 boxes. Even on an X11R6 is a difference between
having the interfaces there and having them be actually useful for
color correction. To do accurate color display, you need device
profiles, and I don't know how that is supposed to work with say
XFree86.

(AcceleratedX does set the XDCC root window property for Xcms -
I don't know if the settings it uses have any relation to reality
or not)

Regards,
                                        Owen