Re: gtk example code extraction

> Err... I should have mentioned this earlier, but I have just
> noticed that some people are still updating the examples/* code in the
> CVS by hand.
>
> I have written an awk script and placed it in the examples directory
> in cvs to automatically extract the code examples from the tutorial,
> so they only have to be changed once. It's called 'extract.awk', and
> there is a shell wrapper to invoke it called 'extract.sh'

OK, I hadn't noticed that. But there is (was) some weirdness going
on, since the ChangeLog says:

Sun May 24 12:11:38 BST 1998  Tony Gale  <gale@gtk.org>

        * docs/gtk_tut.sgml:
           - GtkTooltips, update to current API
           - change all 'gpointer *data' to 'gpointer data'
           - other minor changes

But, last week when I committed the change:

Mon May 25 12:08:14 1998  Owen Taylor  <otaylor@gtk.org>

	* examples/**.c: Changed all gpointer * to gpointer

There were definitely a lot of 'gpointer *' in examples/

People should also note that not everything in examples/ is
autogenerated from the tutorial. In particular the directories:

 scribble-simple/
 gtkdial/
 tictactoe/

have complete sources to things only exhibited partially in the
tutorial itself.

Perhaps there should be a README under examples/ explaining all
of this?

Regards,
                                        Owen