Re: [gtk-list] gtk-- tutorial?

Victor T. Ng wrote:

> Is there a decent gtk-- tutorial somewhere?  I've recently downloaded both
> qt and gtk but I can't seem to find any documentation for gtk-- for those
> who have no idea (like me) what's going on.

Hi Vic,

I really feel sorry that there is AFAIK no tutorial for gtk--. Sad!!! Sad!!!
Sad!!!

It has a really good design and we use it for large projects. If you promise
to start a tutorial I would teach you everything necessary (promise).
I don't have enough time to do so and a Gtk-- plugin for glade (GUI builder)
is of higher priority to me.

So here are my first instructions:

get gtk+ and gtk-- (source code!)

compile testgtk (gtk+/gtk) and start it. Look at the nice widgets, remember
which you want to use.
do
    cd gtk--/docgen
    make docs
(should create a bunch of .html files in gtk--/docs)
browse this with your favorite browser. The function names are really self
explanatory.
Take a close look at Gtk_Widget and Gtk_Container. These methods are common to
everything.

If in doubt: have a close look inside testgtk or gtk+/examples - think about
the code and translate it to C++ (it gets shorter almost every time).

I've got a bunch of tutorial programs available - mail me. I might even send
you some of the larger projects though they need Adabas D to compile.

Have fun and some chocolate (against frustration).

Grüße
     Christof