Re: [gtk-list] Re: An application repository on gtk.org??

"O'CONNOR, Steve" <SOCONNOR@baea.com.au> writes:
> 	Sergei wrote:
> > Ok then. I'm going to set it up on sunsite. I'll implement this as a
> > simple
> > browse/search mechanism based on MySQL.
> > I'm open to suggestions on what features I should put in there.
> 	At this early stage, I would just make it a flat repository with
> 1 big list of filenames, associated .lsm files, and a searchable
> database based solely on the contents of the .lsm file.
>
> 	MySQL would be overkill for this ... just a 'grep -il' on a
> collection of .lsm files would do the trick, I should think.
>
> 	Where abouts on sunsite should it live ?
> 	/pub/GTK_apps   or   /pub/Linux/GTK_apps     ???
>
> 	thanks for the effort so far ..

Well - that'd be the minumum thing to do... although one could think
about much more and then you'd have to switch to something else later
which causes more work in the end.

Personally I think things that could go into a database element are:

a.) Program archives ( user chooses: gzip / bzip2 / pgp signed )
a2.) current version
b.) Description of the program by author (if nothing else available
	take from lsm)
c.) Needed software to compile
d.) Official homepage of program (if any)
d2.) Author's contact email for questions
e.) Packages this program has been assigned to
f.) Comments by other users

You'd think a, b, c & d2 are somewhat mandatory... the others go from
nice to have ( d & e ) to luxurious ( f ).

About the packages: This would allow us to create packages like
"System control frontends", "Gaming", "Development" and so on, so
users could pull packages down that have impact on their area of
interest. Personally I think this would be a great idea, but I am
aware that not everyone may think so. :-)

Later,
	Georg

- --
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@fusebox.hanse.de>
http://porter.desy.de/~greve/ - ICQ#10016966
"People who fight may lose. People who do not
fight have already lost." -- Bertolt Brecht