Re: [gtk-list] Re: error compiling 1.0.5 on Solaris 2.6 machine

On Jul 28, Dave Reed wrote:
> >  Depending on what machine you want to generate code for, define:
> >  __sparcv8 or __sparcv9 and __sparc
> >  some where in your Makefiles.
> >
> >  (It's prolly better to defile __sparcv8 in case you want to use the libs
                            ^^^^^^

Nice typo :)

> > on older sparcs. See /usr/include/sys/isa_defs.h for more info).
> >
> > John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
> > Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/
>
> Thanks for the suggestion - I tried adding -D__sparcv8 and it still
> didn't work.  I found a machine that was still runing Solaris 2.4 and
> it compiled so the sys admin may have messed something up during the
> upgrade.  I guess I'll worry about it when all the machines have been
> upgraded to 2.6 :-)

I've built 1.0.0 through 1.0.4 on Solaris 2.6 without problems - I'm
going to get round to building 1.0.5 today.  What C compiler are you
using?  (I've used gcc 2.7.2.3 and egcs 1.0.3 successfully)

I'll get back once I've built 1.0.5 and let you know how that went.

I also notice in <sys/isa_defs.h>:

 /*
  * Existing compilers do not set __sparcv8.  Years will transpire before
  * the compilers can be depended on to set the feature test macro. In
  * the interim, we'll set it here on the basis of historical behaviour;
  * if you haven't asked for SPARC V9, then you must've meant SPARC V8.
  */
 #if !defined(__sparcv9) && !defined(__sparcv8)
 #define __sparcv8
 #endif

Which sort of implies that __sparcv8 should be defined by default.  Hmm,
there could be something wrong with your installation...

--
Des Herriott
des@ops.netcom.net.uk