Re: [gtk-list] Re: RPM version?

> At 10.47 22/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >ftp.gtk.org  in /pub/gtk/binary/RPMS/
> >Carlo Sorda wrote:

> Thanks.

 The problem is... the RPM can only be installed on the default /usr
 tree, it is not relocatable and RPM is a pain in the neck to get it
 to do that.

 I tried installing the 1.0.4 binary RPM and it got lots of complaints
 (from RPM) about package dependencies that, by installing, would break
 many other packages :( [that I use very much]. Faced with the prospect
 of having my system unoperational after having spent several hours
 reconfiguring and updating it, I decided it was much better to simply
 get the 1.0.4.tar.gz source tree, recompile, do a

 	./configure --prefix=/opt

 (where I still had some space) and install it there. My system isn't
 broken, the other programs still work and I develop using 1.0.4 on
 /opt running them with a shell script to 'reconfigure' LD_CONFIG_PATH.

 		Good Luck,
				Emilio
--
D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon       Compuware Europe B.V. (Uniface Lab)
Software Engineer	       Amsterdam, The Netherlands