Re: [gtk-list] Re: NEW CODE: multiple file selection

On 21 Jul 1998, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Nils> As some people might recall, I needed a possibility to select
> Nils> multiple files at a time, read: a modified GtkFileSelection to
> Nils> shift-click, ctrl-click etc.
>
> Nils> I have made a new widget (GtkMFileSelection, read: multiple file
> Nils> selection), which does just this
>
> Other widgets that allow multiple selection have a selection mode that
> the caller can set.  Why not do the same with the file selection
> dialog?  Then you only have one widget which works the same way other
> Gtk widgets do.

_Please_, don't consider this as a characteristic of the file selection
dialog. It's a basic characteristic of _lists_, never mind whether they
are being used for file selections or something else, and should be
treated as such. There is no reason why this shouldn't go into GtkList
and/or GtkCList. Nils' work is fine, I'm sure, but I hope it doesn't have
to stay a separate widget. Yes, of course the file selection dialog needs
it, but it shouldn't have to do the work itself.

> (One problem is that one of the multi- selection modes is not
> implemented in many of the Gtk widgets.  But presumably that is just a
> separate bug, and not a deep problem.)

It's the fundamental bug.