Re: [gtk-list] Object args and all that stuff...

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Michael Beach wrote:

> Whilst inching forward yesterday (still making glacial progress on my
> RScheme bindings for gtk+) I came across the object args stuff. This
> looks really great, seems it could make binding to dynamic languages
> *very* convenient. However, there didn't seem to be many widgets that
> actuallt take advantage of it (GtkWidget, GtkObject, GtkButton, others
> ???) and the tutorial said that it was pretty much an unimplemented
> facility.
>
> So, my question is, is it a case of it just not being done yet, or is it
> deprecated (because someone has had a better idea) and just hasn't been
> excised yet? Is there more of it in 1.1? If it's around to stay, then I
> think I'll refocus my efforts on using it instead of using gtk.defs to
> build bindings for individual functions. Any comments/advice on the
> state/usability/future directions of this object args stuff would be
> welcomed. Thanks.

the work on the object arguments is continued in the 1.1 branch of gtk.
there are a bunch of widgets supporting them now, and i'm constantly working
on increasing the amount of widgets that feature the object arguments.
containers now implement child arguments as well. this works similar to widget
arguments, but the values are associated with a certain container<->child
relation.
e.g. if you got a hbox containing a button, you can do this:

gtk_widget_set (GTK_WIDGET (hbox),
                "homogeneous", TRUE,
                NULL);
gtk_container_child_set (GTK_CONTAINER (hbox),
                         GTK_WIDGET (button),
                         "expand", FALSE,
                         "position", 0,
                         NULL);