a feasability question.

Hi there. A friend and I are writing our own window manager, and we were
wondering if it would be possible to do so using gtk, e.g. right-click
on the root window brings up a gtk popup menu, etc. I figured we could
perhaps implement a "root window" widget as it were that would
encapsulate the root window and contain the popup menu. Also, a problem
presents itself in that a window manager waits for x events and all
that, and gtk provides gtk_main(), so the main program loop is out of
our hands. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.