Re: [gtk-list] Re: Bi-Di support

Moshe Vainer <moshev@easybase.com> writes:

> Well, in windows, for example, the BiDi support is done based on Font,
> with 8bit and not Unicode. That is a font can be declared Hebrew and thus alter
>
> the behaviour of Widgets etc...

Hmmm, but even the standard Hebrew fonts include characters
where the rendering direction is different from the logical
direction, right? (That is, the lower half of iso-8859-whatever
is just ASCII, and numbers in Hebrew are done RTL)

Just implementing the correct rendering algrorithm based on the
Unicode character properties seems easier - in the sense that it could
be done just once (even if it is complicated).

I suspect the mirroring of widgets and layouts should be done based on
a global flag - you could easily imagine that one widget would contain
labels in both Hebrew and English - so using the font just wouldn't
work.

Regards,
                               Owen