Re: [gtk-list] Re: Bi-Di support

Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire@trace.com.tw> writes:

> > The first (well, easiest) thing to do is to make it so an application
> > can run properly in a right-to-left locale.  This basically means
> > making it possible to mirror the layout of widgets (some, but not all
> > -- very important) about the vertical axis when running r-to-l.  The
> > previous discussion of this has a lot more details about what needs to
> > be done and why; check the archives.
> >
> > Adding full bidi support to the text widget is much harder.
>
> BTW, can the GTK library support unicode string. I means double char
> string. Looking at the doc, GTk uses the type gchar for character.
> It could then be defined as unsigned int but looking futher in the
> examples it seems this type is also use as type argument in event
> function. Is it a problem.

Although are also gint8/guint8 types in GTK+, gchar/guchar have
been used extensively to mean 8-bit integers, so I think changing
them isn't really feasible at this point; it would be better to
introduce a new gwchar type.

In addition, because UTF-8 will be a very common external interface,
we still need 8-bit character data, even with Unicode. In fact,
my current feeling is that at least the external interfaces for
GTK+ should be defined as UTF-8 - they should not be converted
to wide characters.

Regards,
                                      Owen