Re: [gtk-list] vi bindings, emacs bindings, and all other bindings

I think the first step is to adapt the Amulet binding routines to gtk,
then take it a step further and make it read in config files instead of
arrays defined in the header files. Tim Janik, what kind of "generic"
key binding support does your term emulator have?

Let's stick to the editing functionality commonly found in built-in
shell editors for the first cut (or even a sub set of that
functionality).

>> I don't go for the argument that something is better because it is
>> newer ... that logic does not hold ...

I think the logic here is that ed, vi, emacs, these are (were) all
limited to the bandwidth, cpu, input methods, and user interface
mentality of the time.  It can be argued that all of these fields of
computing continue to mature over time.  If this argument is true, then
newer interfaces ARE by default better -- In some ways, at least.

I mean, why is ed a line editor?  Why does vi have a command mode and an
edit mode?  Why does emacs have mark and point selections, and why does
xemacs still have some problems adapting that to the mouse?  There are
archaic design elements in all of these systems due to specific
limitations in the state of the technology when they were conceived.

That's just the way it is.  It doesn't change the fact that i have 100
emacs commands memorized by heart, and my coworker has 100 vi commands
memorized.  And that when we're on UNIX (and even sometimes when we're
not) we expect to be able to work the way we know how to.

But you're right, newer is not always better.  We shouldn't just offer
win/mac key bindings on everything.  But we should discuss and evaluate
the situation like we're doing and we should look at other mainstream
(which implyes cross-platform) examples like netscape or framemaker.
They meld windows and emacs style bindings together very effectively.  I
can hit Alt-V, ^y or the second mouse button, and they all paste
something (although it's not always the same thing -- but that's another
issue).

I would consider emacs/win and vi/win combinations if possible.  That
eliminates one of the three main choices i mentioned before.  I don't
know if mixing anything with vi is possible, but we can figure that out
along the way.

And hey, how come no one's mentioned WORDSTAR bindings???? (*just
kidding!*)

Anyhow, let's stop talking and start coding!

~p@

--
Patrick Rogan

Lycos, Inc.