Re: [gtk-list] Re: vi bindings for text widgets

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, George wrote:

> I've got a decent keyboard (although I would kill whoever put the esc key so
> far from the alpha numeric keys) ... vim can use the mouse and I sometimes use
> it ... but I don't wanna go to the mouse whenever clicking the arrow keys is
> too long (and yes I use hjkl keys to move around because it's faster) ...
> I want to move around by typing ... instead of pressing x times the arrow key
> and looking where it goes ... I press w or b a couple of times or type a numeral
> and b .... I want to replace a word I type cwand the word .. instead of reaching
> for the mouse or pressing the delete key a bunch of times ... it IS faster

  This is precisely why I like NEdit.  Arrows move the cursor a little.
Ctrl+Arrows move the cursor a lot.  Shift+Arrows select text, and so on.
It essentially does the same thing as vi, but with a much cleaner and more
consistent interface, IMHO.  It seems to be the de facto standard in
Windows and Mac editors, and I've found that people tend to pick up on it
a lot faster than vi's edit/insert modes and key mappings.

 ***** *****  Gerald Combs                  gerald@unicom.net
  ***   ***   Mouse cleaning czar           http://www.unicom.net
   *     *    Unicom Communications, Inc.   (913)327-5309
    *****     7223 W. 95th St., Ste 325     (913)327-5376 Fax
     ***      Overland Park, KS 66212       (913)327-5375 Client Support
      *