Re: [gtk-list] Re: vi bindings for text widgets

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 02:43:50PM -0500, Gerald Combs - Unicom Communications wrote:
>   This is precisely why I like NEdit.  Arrows move the cursor a little.
> Ctrl+Arrows move the cursor a lot.  Shift+Arrows select text, and so on.
> It essentially does the same thing as vi, but with a much cleaner and more
> consistent interface, IMHO.  It seems to be the de facto standard in
> Windows and Mac editors, and I've found that people tend to pick up on it
> a lot faster than vi's edit/insert modes and key mappings.

it does a very small fraction of what vi does ... how do you do

d5w

or

ct_

or

c%

you have to count the pointer moves for those ... vi moves are much more
powerful then just moving around ... same goes for emacs ... both editors
have their keybindings very powerfull so that you can do edits with
as little typing as possible (I think vi does better on this but that's
just MHO)

just because something is easier to use doesn't mean it's
better/more modern/something everybody should be forced to use ...

plus I don't go for the argument that something is better because it is
newer ... that logic does not hold ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: